David and Goliath (Trust in God)

Wednesday:David and Goliath
Story Passage: 1st Samuel 17
Other Passages: John 14:1, Romans 15:13
Objective: Children should learn that they should trust in God.
Introduction: [Needed]
[needed]
Story: David and Goliath
One day, David's father sent him on an errand [show visual]. David was the youngest of eight brothers. His three oldest brothers were away at war. David was home watching his father's sheep. But one day, his father said, Take this grain, and these 10 loaves of bread, and these ten big pieces of cheese to your brothers in the army. And come back and tell me how they are doing.
So in the morning, David left the sheep with another shepherd and loaded the food up on a donkey and left to go to his brothers.
When he got there [show visual], he found his brothers and the other soldiers were afraid. There was a giant, named Goliath [show visual], who was fighting for the enemy. Goliath was over 9 feet tall. [Explain or demonstrate that.]
Everyone was afraid of him. And he was shouting, Send out just one man to fight just me. If I win, you will all become our slaves. If you win, we will become your slaves. But nobody thought they could beat the giant. David [show visual] said, [This is an extreme paraphrase] Why should we be afraid of him. He doesn't worship God or believe in God. I will fight him. King Saul heard what David had said. King Saul said, David, you are still a boy. You are young. Goliath has been a soldier for a long time. You can't go fight him.
But David told King Saul, I have been taking care of my father's sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I grabbed it by its hair, struck it and killed it. I have killed both the lion and the bear. This man will be like them, because he does not believe in God. [i.e., because he has defied the armies of the living God.] The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this man.
So Saul said, Ok. Go fight him. King Saul dressed David with heavy armor and a helmet. But they were so heavy, David said, I can't go in these. I'm not used to them. So he took them off. He took [show visual] only his shepherd's crook and his sling, and five small stones that he got out of the stream. Goliath said, Am I a dog that you come after me with sticks? But David answered, You come against me with sword and spear, but I come against you in the name of the Lord God Almighty, the God of... Israel. Today the Lord (God) will hand you over to me. So David took one stone out and put it in his sling [show visual]. He turned his sling 'round and 'round and let the stone fly. It hit Goliath in the head, and he fell down (dead) [show visual]. David won! And the other enemy soldiers got scared and ran away. So God's army won.
Application: Trusting God
David won because he believed in God and trusted God to take care of him. And God helped him. When God wants us to do something hard, (like obeying our parents or telling the truth) we should trust Him. He will help us too.

No comments: